Tenacity and Resilience

One of the hats that I wear is a coach for land investing with an incredible company and today while on a call with a new student I asked about her history.  And wow, I was touched by what she said.  She was originally from Croatia and over twenty years ago after the Serbians attacked their country, she her baby, her husband, two bags and burrowed money for a plane ticket fled to Canada.  They had no money, did not speak the language, and had no real skills to create a career.  She and her husband worked different jobs just to survive.  She is now 56 and changing directions in her life to learn how to become a land investor.

Her story moved me as I could feel her tenacity and as she was sharing with me, I could feel the impact of her experience.  I instantly admired this lady whom I was now coaching and felt she too had much she could teach me. I am in her corner and so desire to see her succeed.

I became aware of how privileged I am and how America and Canada despite its flaws is a great place to live.  How we have been spared the horror of war at least in our lifetime and we do not know the stress of war in our streets. We have opportunities that other nations only dream of.  I have had the privilege to know many immigrants who have come to America and who have exceeded in so many ways.  Many of them arriving here not knowing the language and having to work menial jobs, learn the language with often no support, no family, no income, and a stranger in a strange land.

I imagine the pressure and stress they encountered in their own countries and once arriving to a new county.  I can see the determination that had to follow the decision to make it in a new place.  I admire the willingness to save their families and the desire to seek out a better life. I also can not help but think of how easy we have it and how I could do so much more if I simply applied myself.  I am often touched by these stories that people share about their lives.  I admire the strength that is with in others and feel like saying “if they can accomplish all of this, what is our lame excuse?”

I love to see the resilience and tenacity that comes from others. It inspires me to be better.  It encourages me to keep going.  It humbles me at the level of strength and endurance others have amid adversity. I can image the days that they faced and the pain that they encountered.  The uncertainty of life while living in a county ravished by war. The concern of the parent who have children they must care for and figure all of this out as well.  The courage to take steps that would frighten anyone.  I love the story told and the life that holds these memories and that can look back and see how God guided them every step of the way.

My hats off to every person who has immigrate to a new country or to a new field or who has let go of situations that held them back, who has burnt the bridge to their past in order to achieve a dream ahead. I want you to know you are an inspiration.

   

Comments

Popular Posts